The history of the King Charles Hotel begins in 1948, when it was originally built as a NAAFI (Naval, Army and Air Force) club. The NAAFI opened on 16th July, 1948 at a cost of £150,000, by the Commander-in-Chief, The Nore, Admiral Sir Harold Burrough. It compromised of 200 single, and 48 double rooms, a nursery and playroom, games room, restaurant, tavern bar, 3 flats and, finally, one of the finest ballrooms in the country. The finest acts to play in the ballroom on the opening night were comedian Jack Train, Billy Ternent and his orchestra- an eventful way to entertain the servicemen.
Moreover, our royal association doesn’t start and end with the hotel’s name- one of our very first visitors was King George VI!
Unfortunately, the NAAFI club closed their doors for the last time on the 28th July 1962, after many of the servicemen had been taken out of Medway, rendering the club unprofitable. After falling into disrepair during the 5 years that it stood empty, 2 Canadians bought the building and converted it into a budget hotel. The hotel acquired the name ‘The Aurora Hotel’- a homage to the Northern Lights that are so visible from the owner’s hometown in Canada.
Once again, the building fell into disrepair and was considered an eyesore amongst the local community, until it was taken over by Debbie and Steve in 1980- and we are the very same family that run The King Charles today. We are immensely proud of how far we have come: from the deserted and derelict building that we bought, to the enviable reputation we have in our community- something of which we are very proud to have achieved, alongside the history of the building.
During this time, the hotel has undergone significant renovation: We are now a 3 star hotel with: 97 bedrooms, restaurant, bar, various conference and banqueting rooms, and serve as a prominent Kentish wedding venue. With the most recent refurbishment, our three main function rooms are considered to be an ideal locations when it comes to holding weddings, conferences, dinners and function.