The building was originally built as a NAAFI
(Naval, Army and Air Force Institute) club in 1948.
The NAAFI was opened on 16th July 1948 at a cost of £150,000 by The Commander in Chief, The Nore, Admiral Sir Harold Burrough
. It comprised of 200 single and 48 double rooms, a nursery and playroom, games room, restaurant, tavern bar, three flats and one of the finest ballrooms in the country.
The first acts to play in the ballroom on the opening night were comedian Jack Train and Billy Ternent and his orchestra, entertaining the servicemen.
One of the first visitors here was King George VI
The NAAFI club closed its doors on 28th July 1962, after many of the servicemen were taken out of Medway as the business was no longer profitable.
After remaining derelict for five years, two Canadian gentlemen bought the building and converted it into a budget hotel. It was named 'The Aurora Hotel', after their home town in Canada where the northern lights can be seen. The hotel catered especially for Canadian tourists and a shuttle bus service was laid on between Gatwick airport and the hotel.
The hotel changed hands to the current family owners on 5th August 1980 after it had become an eyesore for the local community.
During this time the hotel has been converted into a 97 bedroomed 3 star hotel, with restaurant, bar, lift and various conference and banqueting rooms. These en-suite rooms now offer freeview television, wireless internet access, telephone, hairdryer and tea & coffee making facilities.